...from out on the branches, fifteen feet above the ground, i could see a larger horizon, i could further imagine the vastness of our many landscapes...

07 January 2010

Staving off "what the hell am I doing in Japan" depression












In an effort to feel like I have my feet somewhat-firmly planted here on this earthquake-prone landscape, I have taken on several projects, all of which, I imagine, will be written about at some point on this blog.

These projects include gastronomic experimenting, photography (I just built a twin-reflex camera and am anxious to develop the prints!), some writing, mastering the New York Times website, and attempting to get through my mountainous list of books. All pretty nerdy---------

Tonight it's cooking to my custom-made mix of Nina Simone. My current favorites are Love Me or Leave Me, No Me Quitte Pas, Wild is the Wind, and Mississippi Goddamn.

Dinner tonight:

**Kabocha squash, leek soup (I threw in a sweet potato that I needed to use)

**Stove-top corn bread with grilled onion and pepper
(we have no oven in our Japanese-style apartment so I spent a good 30 minutes researching how to successfully make corn bread on the stove-top without a cast iron skillet)

**Steamed greens

Matthew and I are preparing for our anti-candida diet which will probably last multiple months. That means an end to meals like this which, although healthy, give a lot of fuel to candida.

Bye to my morning cup of coffee........walnut and raisin snacks.......
.........chocolate indulgences.........whiskey.........an apple with my lunch.......luckily for me I am already gluten free, for that has to be cut too. I am afraid of shriveling into nothing in Japan!

I've been doing a ton of experimenting with pretty simple recipes and would be happy to share!

Meanwhile, I am burning my veggie sauté while trying to blog.

There's a lot more to come. This is a slow start to what I anticipate doing with this blog, so if you're reading, keep checking back....and please, leave me comments!

2 comments:

  1. Hello lovley lady.... love your blogging. It is a nice escape from work, just don't tell my boss. Keep me updated on your digestive system... and for heaven sakes, please don't waste away into nothing trying to battle the candida :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is an old blog but i am just starting to read it. and i love what Mama Casey said. or maybe i think i love Mama Casey?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments, impressions, suggestions, thoughts, inspirations....